Processing of job applicants’ personal data
The Finnish National Opera and Ballet protects the personal data of job applicants and complies with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Protection Act, the Act on the Protection of Privacy in Working Life, other relevant legislation and good data protection practices.
This notice describes the processing of your personal data if you have applied for an open position at the Finnish National Opera and Ballet or sent us an open application. We will also provide you with more information on how you can exercise your statutory rights as a data subject and, if necessary, obtain additional information on the processing of your data.
Data controller and contact information
The data controller is the Finnish National Opera and Ballet. In matters related to privacy protection, you can contact us by e-mail at tietosuoja[at]opera.fi or by post to the Finnish National Opera and Ballet, P.O. Box 176, FI-00251 Helsinki, Finland or by phone 09 403021.
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
Your personal data is processed for the purpose of managing the recruitment process, such as processing job applications, informing about the process, arranging job interviews and selecting an employee. In these cases, the processing of personal data is based on a contract. If necessary, the applicant’s suitability assessment is carried out for the candidate candidate in the final stage and is based on the applicant’s consent. The job applicant has the right to withdraw their consent to the processing of personal data.
What personal data do we process in recruitment?
Your personal data means any information that can be linked to you or that can be used to identify you.
We process your name and contact information, as well as information about your education, previous work experience and special skills. If the position you are applying for so requires, we may also process, for example, video recordings (singers and dancers).
If personal or aptitude assessments are carried out in connection with the recruitment process, we will process written reports based on them.
You may also provide us with information about any references you may have or sources from which we can obtain additional information about you. We will only obtain additional information about you from other sources based on your consent.
From which sources is the data obtained?
We receive personal data concerning job applicants mainly from the applicant himself/herself. In certain situations, with the job applicant’s consent or otherwise permitted by law, we may also collect data from other sources, such as references provided by the applicant and the service provider performing the suitability assessment. If your application contains links to external websites about you, we may also visit such pages to learn more about you.
How is personal data processed during the job application process?
The Finnish National Opera and Ballet ensures that only persons who need access to your personal data in order to perform their duties have access to your personal data. Such parties include HR employees and other persons involved in the recruitment process, such as supervisors.
To whom is your personal data transferred or disclosed?
Your personal data is processed in connection with recruitment in the system provided by the external service provider Lyyti Oy. Lyyti Oy acts as a processor of personal data in accordance with the instructions of the Finnish National Opera and Ballet and for the purposes defined by it.
Will your data be transferred outside Europe?
The Finnish National Opera and Ballet processes your personal data related to recruitment only within the EU/EEA. The providers of suitability assessment and executive search services used to assist in the recruitment process may themselves act as controllers. The service provider acting as the controller is obliged to inform about its own processing of personal data and any related data transfers.
How long do we keep your data?
We store applications for open positions for three years from the recruitment decision. The basis for retention is the controller’s legitimate interest in preparing for possible claims.
If you were not selected for the position you are applying for, you may choose to give your consent to the storage of your data for future application processes for a period of two years. In this case, the legal basis for the processing is your consent, which you can withdraw at any time by notifying tietosuoja[at]opera.fi.
We store open applications for two years from their receipt. The legal basis for processing is the applicant’s consent. If you wish to delete your data earlier, you can notify us by email to tietosuoja[at]opera.fi.
What are your rights as a data subject?
You have rights under data protection legislation regarding your personal data being processed.
- Right of access: You have the right to know what data the Finnish National Opera and Ballet processes about you. You also have the right to receive a copy of the data being processed and the necessary information related to the processing of the data.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to have incorrect, outdated or incomplete data concerning you rectified or completed.
- Right to erasure: In certain cases, you have the right to have your personal data erased. This is possible, for example, when the personal data is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was originally collected.
- Right to restriction of processing: In certain cases, you have the right to have the processing of your personal data restricted so that the Finnish National Opera and Ballet only has the right to store such personal data. For example, you can request that the processing of your data be restricted for the duration of the investigation if you consider that the information concerning you is not correct and the accuracy of the data needs to be investigated further.
- Right to request data portability: If the processing of your personal data is based on consent or a contract, you have the right to transfer your data to another controller. The right to data portability applies to data that you have provided to the Finnish National Opera and Ballet and that has been stored in an electronic information system. If technically possible, the controller must transfer your data directly to another controller.
- Right to object to processing: In certain situations, you have the right to object to processing if the processing is not based on a legal obligation or contract.
- Automated individual decision-making, including profiling: The Finnish National Opera and Ballet does not use automated decision-making or profiling in the processing of job applicants’ personal data.
If you wish to exercise your rights or have questions about the processing of your personal data, please contact tietosuoja[at]opera.fi by e-mail or by post to the Finnish National Opera and Ballet, P.O. Box 176, 00251 Helsinki.
If you suspect that your personal data has been processed in violation of data protection legislation, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Ombudsman, the Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman, P.O. Box 800, FI-00531 Helsinki or www.tietosuoja.fi.
This privacy statement was last updated on 11.1.2024