This accessibility statement concerns the following services of the Finnish National Opera and Ballet Foundation:
- online services http://oopperabaletti.fi and https://shop.oopperabaletti.fi/
- performance database http://encore.opera.fi
- project site https://operabeyond.com
- Opera&Ballet mobile app (Android version 1.1.0 (published on 1 September 2021), iOS version 1.2.3 (published on 7 December 2021))
The accessibility statement is prepared on 23 September 2020. The statement is based on an assessment made by Eficode Oy, an external expert organisation, on the accessibility of the online services and the mobile app.
The statement was last revised on 8 December 2021.
Current accessibility of the digital services
The digital services of the Opera and Ballet partially meet the requirements of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, levels A and AA. The Opera&Ballet mobile app meets the requirements of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, level AA, and partially meets the requirements of EN 301 549 11.5.2. Non-compliance and exceptions to the requirements are discussed below.
Below is a list of accessibility gaps we are aware of. If you notice an issue that is not listed, please let us know. Some of the web service accessibility issues listed below also apply to the Opera&Ballet mobile app. Only the issues concerning the Opera&Ballet app are listed below in this statement.
Content or functions that are not yet fully accessible:
- Some of the icons and graphic elements do not have appropriate text equivalents. This issue also applies to the mobile app. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- There are issues in the use of HTML heading levels, e.g. when heading levels are skipped. This issue also applies to the mobile app. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- Programmatic highlighting of an active item (WCAG 1.3.1)
- Some of the buttons on the site do not have visible focus. (WCAG 2.4.7.)
- If the text is made larger, not all of the content remains readable. (WCAG 1.4.4)
- Editing the spacing of text breaks the content. (WCAG 1.4.12)
- A descriptive value is missing for some embedded iframes. (WCAG 2.4.2, 4.1.2)
- There are issues in the search function, which will be corrected during the 2021-2022 period. (WCAG 1.3.1, 4.1.2)
- When giving instructions, reference is made to the visual characteristics or location of the content. (WCAG 1.3.3)
- Some pages have a background video that starts automatically. This issue also applies to the mobile app. (WCAG 2.2.2)
- Some of the links on the site are not sufficiently distinguishable from the surrounding content. (WCAG 2.4.4)
- Registration (the issues also apply to the mobile app):
- There is a skip link in the view, but it does not appear when it has keyboard focus. (WCAG 2.4.)
- The purpose of the form fields is not defined to support automatic completion. (WCAG 1.3.5)
- Invalid fields are highlighted in red only for sighted users (WCAG 1.4.1, 3.3.1)
- The password cannot be made visible with the keyboard alone (Android). (WCAG 2.1.1)
- The country code of telephone numbers is chosen from a drop-down menu, but this is not clearly marked for the screen reader (Android). (WCAG 4.1.2, EN 22.214.171.124)
- Upon registration, changing the country code of telephone numbers is not accessible (iOS). (WCAG 1.3.1, 2.1.1)
Non-accessible content in the Opera&Ballet mobile app
The following content of the Opera&Ballet mobile app does not comply with the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019), and is therefore not accessible.
- Making the text larger in the phone’s settings does not affect the size of many texts in the app. (WCAG 1.4.4)
- Main menu:
- The screen reader does not provide feedback when the view changes. (EN 126.96.36.199)
- Selected menu items are highlighted visually, but not in the screen reader mode. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- The app has carousel elements in the Home and My Presentation views. Carousels are challenging to perceive in the screen reader mode, and their focus order is not logical. (WCAG 2.4.3, 4.1.2)
Content that is not accessible because of undue burden
Making the services or content listed below accessible is not currently possible or would require significant financial investment. This constitutes an excessive burden.
Such content or features include the following:
- There are flaws in the contrast between the text and the background colour. In addition, the contrast between the colours on the ticket shop’s location map is too weak.
- The contrast issues will be handled when the online service is renewed in 2022.
- In the ticket shop, the customer can also buy a ticket using the Best Seats function, which selects the best seats in the price range chosen by the customer. Tickets can also be purchased by phone or email, or by visiting the Opera House’s customer service point.
- The oopperabaletti.fi website has three help videos that are not accessible. The titles of these videos are: Näin vaihdat ostamasi liput verkkokaupassa (Exchanging tickets in the online shop); Näin ostat liput ja tarjoilut verkkokaupasta (Buying tickets and catering in the online shop); Näin kirjaudut Oopperan ja Baletin verkkokauppaan (Logging in to the Opera and Ballet online shop). No new versions will be made of these videos. However, the icons referred to in the help videos are provided with an explanatory text.
- The referencing of icons and the logical structure of navigation will be redesigned and taken into account when the online service is renewed in 2022.
- Tickets can also be purchased by phone or email, or by visiting the Opera House’s customer service point.
- The ticket and the confirmation email for the purchase do not fully meet the accessibility requirements. Their information comes directly from the ticketing system, which does not yet fully support accessibility.
- Efforts have been made to make the ticket and the confirmation email very clear to ensure that relevant information is readily seen. There are plenty of lobby staff to help you find your place. In addition, guidance is available from the Opera and Ballet telephone service and the customer service point of the Opera House.
- The Opera and Ballet’s annual report is not fully accessible.
- The Opera&Ballet app can only be used when the phone is in the vertical position. (WCAG 1.3.4)
Accessibility requirements do not apply to certain contents
The following is a list of contents on our website that do not fall within accessibility legislation.
Our website has:
- Videos released before 23 September 2020. These videos lack subtitles, audio description, or both. The accessibility requirements do not apply to videos released before 23 September 2020.
- Audio transmissions (work introductions) released before 23 September 2020. These audio transmissions lack text equivalents. The accessibility requirements do not apply to audio transmissions published before 23 September 2020.